Family Picture

Family Picture

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Chatsworth

Last weekend we took a little drive out to the Chatsworth Estate. This was our first time driving out in the country. Let me just tell you, it is beautiful. The one nice thing about me not being able to drive is that I get to sit back and enjoy the scenery. One thing that is not fun about driving in the country is the roads. At times we were driving on roads that were so narrow. I would consider them one way streets but some how two cars can fit. The craziest part was there were brick walls or just a straight drop off on the sides of the roads. The people around here are used to it, but I about had a heart attack every time we passed someone.


Here is your mini lesson on Chatsworth. Building started in 1553 by Bess of Hardwick and her husband Sir William Cavendish. It has been handed down through 16 generations of the Cavendish Family. Currently the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire live there. The house was used in the movies Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley), The Duchess (Keira Knightley), and The Wolfman (Anthony Hopkins). The house is set on a 1000 acre park. The park includes amazing gardens, animals, water features, greenhouses, and sculptures. History has never been my favorite subject but I think I am turning over a new leaf in England. I was shocked at how interesting this house was to me.

The Chapel was one of my favorite rooms. This room has not changed much since it was built in 1687. The family still uses the Chapel today for special occasions.
The Sculpture Gallery
The whole house had so much detail in every room.
The formal dining room was my other favorite room.
Andrew did such a great job not touching things and being a good listener. Thank God! He did love this bronze dog.
Get used to this black rain jacket because I wear it everyday because it rains here pretty much every day.
This picture cracks me up!! Lambs are so dangerous.
Andrew's favorite part, the ducks. There was a place to eat right outside the house and the ducks were going crazy. They would walk right up to you for food. We did get to see two ducks have a fight. It was very interesting. They were almost wrestling each other.
So that was the quick version of Chatsworth. I took so many pictures!! I have no idea how many pictures I will end up with at the end of this trip.

Cheers
 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading about all your adventures! Look.s like it was a fun day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Sara! It's so fun to all the fun stuff you guys are doing!!!

    ReplyDelete