Family Picture

Family Picture

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lincoln

We were all pretty tired on my Mom's last Sunday but we still went out for a shorter day in Lincoln. I had to take my mom to a castle. Lincoln was not a very long drive and it has a castle that Mark and I have not seen. Oh yeah, and they have a pretty nice Cathedral ;) We left a little later in the morning, stopped by Starbucks, and we were on our way. I didn't really no what to expect from this town. I was pleasantly surprised. It was such a cute little town. We started at the Lincoln Castle, built in 1066 by William the Conqueror. When we arrived they were having a reenactment of a battle. Andrew loved it!! He thought it was so funny. We watched that for a little while.

Then we went to see an original of the Magna Carta from 1215. Of course, no pictures allowed. In the same building was the prison. It was kind of creepy. We also got a chance to see the prison chapel. The prisoners had to stand in the cubicles for the church service and were not allowed to converse at all. They had to wear masks and were only allowed to take them off when all of the prisoners were in their cubicles. This kept them in isolation.

Mark with a prison door.
A typical prison cell.
My mom and I took a walk up to the castle wall walk so we could check out the view. It was pretty nice.

After the castle we headed over to the Lincoln Cathedral. I thought it wouldn't seem as nice after seeing the Liverpool Cathedral but I was wrong. There was a choir practice going on while we were there. Again, the choir singing made the Cathedral experience pretty nice. Here are some the pictures. Just my luck that the good camera ran out of batteries so all of these pictures were taken with my iPhone.

For some reason my mom and Mark think it is fun to try and figure out every roman numeral they see.
We grabbed a late lunch at a cute little tea room. The food was pretty good. Mark enjoyed an English afternoon tea with his lunch. After we ate we headed back home. That concluded my mom's small tour of England. Too bad she didn't make it to London. We heard from a lot of people that live here to avoid London during the Olympics so we did. I am pretty sure she enjoyed all of our sightseeing!

 

1 comment:

  1. What a great day! So glad you had a good visit with your Mom.

    ReplyDelete