Andrew thinks that every green train is Percy, so we had to take a picture with this one even though its name is Teddy.
Of course, we had to take a Thomas break. I think he would have been fine with just a ride on Thomas.
We had lunch and then went on to see York Minster. Parts of this cathedral date back to 1220. This place was amazing. I feel like the pictures I have don't even compare to what I saw in person. It was nice to just sit, listen to the organ, and take it all in. This picture is looking towards the front. It was hard to get a good picture because my flash didn't really do much in such a huge place.
The back. The stained glass window is know as The Heart of Yorkshire. It was pretty amazing.
More stained glass down both sides of the church.
This room was the Chapter House. It was built in 1286 and is used for formal meetings by the Dean and Chapter. It has also been used for past meetings of the Parliament.
Andrew and I in the Chapter House.
A common theme in these Cathedrals is the fact that many people are buried in them. There are head stones on the floors and walls down the sides of the cathedrals. It is very interesting. Some of the memorials are very elaborate like this one pictured.
After the Minster we decided to take a walk around the city center. We walked down the Shambles, which is York's oldest street. It used to be a street of butchers. I guess before everyone was worried about sanitation they would just wash the blood and remains out on the street. Don't worry there is only one butcher left on the street and I didn't see any animal remains ;)
Sarah, one of our friends here, recommeded we stop by Bettys Tea Room. It was pretty easy to find because it was the place with a line out of the door the whole day. It was the cutest tea cafe. I wish we would have had more time to order the afternoon tea. It included tea, champange, mini tea sandwiches, scones, and cakes!! Instead we had dessert. It was amazing! These two pictures are for Stephanie. The first dessert was kind of like tiramisu. It had cake soaked in coffee with icing and this amazing homemade vanilla sauce. The second was chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing and a layer of rasberry chocolate ganache.
Our last stop was Clifford's Tower. This is the only part of the York Castle that remains. The tower was built between 1245 and 1272. The top of the tower is supposed to have the best view of York.
Mark and Andrew inside the tower.
Heading to the top of the tower. We had to pay attention on the sprial staircase. The steps made me a little dizzy.
At the top looking into the tower.
Fun fact I learned while on the top of the tower, Mark has a little fear of heights. I guess he does not like being up so high with just a railing seperating us from the edge. You think you know a guy after nine years. I guess you learn something new every day.
The view of York Minster.
























Mmmmm! Those look amazing! I would gain so much weight!
ReplyDelete